Shillong, May 18: Meghalaya Police on Monday exhumed the body of Trophimos Khongmawloh, who allegedly died following an assault involving the headman of Pynter and members of the Village Defence Party (VDP), with authorities awaiting the post-mortem report to determine the next course of legal action.
East Khasi Hills Superintendent of Police Vivek Syiem said the exhumation, initially scheduled for Friday, had to be postponed due to bad weather conditions. “The body was supposed to be exhumed on Friday but due to inclement weather the body was exhumed today,” Syiem told reporters. “Post-mortem was done on the spot. We will await the report of the post-mortem to ascertain whether he was murdered or whether he died of natural cause,” he added.
The deceased had been buried on April 7, and police acknowledged that the body had significantly decomposed by the time of exhumation. “Yes, the body has decomposed as it was since 7 of April,” Syiem said. “But let us hope that we will get some clues on the cause of death.”
According to the SP, the findings of the autopsy will determine whether police will move the court seeking cancellation of anticipatory bail granted to the accused persons. “Thereafter we will take a call whether to move court for cancellation of the bail and thereafter cause arrest,” he stated.
Syiem confirmed that an assault had taken place following an altercation within the household where the incident occurred, but said investigators are yet to determine whether the assault directly caused the death. “It is a fact that some assault had taken place due to altercation and issue which happened in that household, where the VDP and the headman had to interfere,” he said. “But to ascertain whether the assault caused the death or whether it was self-inflicted or it was a natural cause, that will be clear after the post-mortem report is out,” he added.
Police are currently examining video footage and gathering testimonies from those present at the scene. “All angles to the case right from the video, people who have been over there, we are trying to ascertain more into the case and thereafter come to conclusion on whether these people are guilty or not,” Syiem said.
He also confirmed that 11 individuals connected to the case have obtained anticipatory bail. “11 people have taken anticipatory bail, that means their involvement is there,” he said.
The police are additionally recording statements from bystanders who may serve as independent witnesses in the investigation. “Other witnesses who were bystanders or who were present on the spot, we are trying to ascertain that because they become independent witnesses to the case,” Syiem added.
It may be mentioned that the father of the deceased, Netnobiweit Khongsdoh, had lodged an FIR on May 5 alleging that his son was assaulted by the headman and members of the VDP.






