Shillong, August 21, 2026: The East Khasi Hills district administration has decided to invoke the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order (MMPO) Act to recover damages caused to public and private property during the Khasi Students’ Union’s black-flag bike rally, which turned violent on Wednesday.
The administration has also revoked permission earlier granted to the KSU for its proposed protest on Friday following incidents of vandalism, arson and assault during the rally.
Three senior KSU leaders — president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar — have been arrested in connection with the incidents.
Deputy Commissioner Abhilash Baranwal said the conditions under which permission was granted for the bike rally had been violated, following which the gathering became unlawful. “The rally conditions have been violated. Accordingly, there is a condition in the permission itself that if these conditions are violated, it becomes an unlawful act and the permission stands revoked. So it becomes an unlawful assembly and accordingly an FIR has been filed and investigation is under process,” Baranwal said. He said efforts are underway to identify other persons allegedly involved in arson, vandalism and assaults during the rally.
According to the DC, at least 16 cases of assault on individuals have been confirmed. The statues of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose and Swami Vivekananda were also vandalised, while two vehicles — one government vehicle and another bearing an outside-State registration — were set ablaze.
Baranwal said the administration would invoke provisions of the MMPO Act to recover the cost of damage from the organisation or individuals found responsible. “We are going to invoke the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act and impose financial sanctions for all damage to public and private property. As per the Act, the organization or individuals responsible for causing damage as part of any procession or rally are liable to pay. We will issue orders accordingly,” he said.
The Deputy Commissioner also announced that permission granted for the KSU’s proposed Friday agitation would be withdrawn. He said the administration had received assurances, both formally and informally, that Wednesday’s bike rally would remain peaceful. However, following reported incidents of vandalism, arson and assaults, the administration decided to revoke permission for the subsequent protest.
Meanwhile, an FIR has also been registered over an alleged petrol bomb attack on police personnel during an operation at the KSU office in Jaiaw on Wednesday night. Baranwal said police had gone to the KSU office after the arrest of the three senior leaders to apprehend other persons allegedly identified as being directly involved in assaults during the rally. “When they approached the office, a petrol bomb was hurled at them. Accordingly, an FIR has been filed for that petrol bomb attack,” he said.
Defending the police response, the DC said there was no indiscriminate use of stun grenades or tear gas. He said police used one stun grenade and tear gas to disperse a crowd that was allegedly attempting to attack security personnel. Police withdrew after community leaders intervened, he added.
Baranwal said the 16 persons reported to have been assaulted were provided medical treatment at Civil Hospital. The government will also issue helpline numbers to assist stranded tourists and ensure medical support for victims.
On the possibility of imposing curfew, the Deputy Commissioner said such a measure would be considered only as a last resort. He added that the Meghalaya government and district administration remain in contact with their counterparts in Assam following reports of Meghalaya-registered vehicles being stopped near Jorabat.






