Meghalaya Minister Puts UK Study Tour on Hold Following PM’s Austerity Call

Shillong, May 20: Meghalaya Soil & Water Conservation Minister Marcuise N. Marak has put on hold a proposed study tour to the United Kingdom following austerity measures advised by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Marak said the State Government has decided to comply with the austerity measures communicated by the Centre and subsequently conveyed by Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma to all ministers. “With regards to austerity measures that the Prime Minister has requested all the states, here in our state also the Chief Minister has already requested all the ministers to follow the austerity measures,” Marak said.

The minister informed that the proposed UK visit was aimed at studying climate-related water management projects and climate adaptive initiatives. “I was planning to visit the UK with my Soil & Water Conservation team to study climate change issues and also the implementation of climate adaptive community-based water harvesting projects,” he said.

According to Marak, the proposal for the visit had already been submitted to the Chief Minister for approval before the austerity directive was issued. “We had sent the request to the Chief Minister also, but because of the Prime Minister’s austerity measure call, we were told not to proceed and to keep it on hold,” he stated.

He further confirmed that the State Government has decided not to move ahead with the visit for now. “Therefore, we are not going ahead and we have abided by the request of the Chief Minister,” Marak added.