Shillong, October 26 : Acting on intelligence of extortion in commercial centers at Police Bazar and Ïewduh, the Special Cell of East Khasi Hills Police laid a trap and arrested 4 (four) persons from Police Bazar today. The four were caught serving extortion notes to one of the shops.
A Suo-Moto case has been registered at Sadar Police Station for extortion against the four arrested persons. The following items were also seized from their possession:
- Three numbers of extortion letters of Hynniewtrep People Defense Alliance (HPDA)
- Three numbers of extortion receipt books of Hynniewtrep People Defense Alliance (HPDA)
- Two Donation receipt slips of United Khasi Movement (UKM)
- Two Donation receipt slips of Federation of Khasi United People (FKUP)
- Two Donation receipt slips of Confederation of Meghalaya People (CMP)
- One counterfoil receipt slips of Khun Hynniewtrep Youth Council (KHYC)
- Two donation receipt slips of Hynniewtrep Youth Regions (HYR)
- One Scooty Aprilla ML05 Q 9828
- Four nos of Mobile Phones
Interrogation is underway to ascertain outlets/establishments where extortion notes have been served for registering more cases against the culprits and to nab other persons/groups who are involved in the extortion racket in the city. Some of the accused also have criminal records and were earlier arrested.
Public and business establishments are requested to give information to police so as to nab such extortionists and for taking legal action.
The East Khasi Hills Police is committed to cracking down on extortion and other criminal activities in the district. The public is urged to cooperate with the police by providing information about any suspicious activity.