Shillong, June 28 : The State office, Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), Shillong inaugurated 10-days skill development training programme for fruit and vegetable processing under Agro-Based Food Processing Industry verticals of Gramodyog Vikas Yojana (GVY) at Mairang Mission, (Eastern West Khasi Hills) for the first batch of 20 artisans. The inaugural function of the training programme was attended by various dignitaries including the State Director of KVIC Shillong, officials from the Meghalaya State Rural Livelihood Society (MSRLS), Dorbar Shnong, and Secretary of the Mairang Mission.
During the event, the State Director of KVIC, Shillong outlined objectives of the Agro-Based Food Processing training program, which are as follows:-
• To utilize locally available raw material/ resources and convert them into value added products.
• To provide sustainable income to artisans, rural unemployed youth and farmers.
• To impart skill development programmes with new modern technologies in producing various agro based food products.
• To provide improved tools, equipment, and machineries to individual artisans and groups for enhanced productivity.
• To adopt good manufacturing practices in setting up agro-based food products.
• To reduce loss of perishable agricultural products, promote the setting up of processing units on the farm.
• To provide advanced skills for selected artisans through Center of Excellence for product diversification, packaging, standardization.
The 10 days training program is being conducted by the master trainer and proprietor of M/s Delicacies Kong Silda Thabah, which will be concludes on July 7, 2023.