Shillong, October 11 : The Meghalaya State Disaster Management Authority (MSDMA), Revenue & Disaster Management Department, Government of Meghalaya in collaboration with National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India organized a Table Top Exercise for all stakeholders at the State Convention Centre in Shillong on October 10, 2023. The exercise was held in preparation for the State Level Mock Exercise on Earthquake Disaster, which will be held on October 12, 2023 in all 12 districts of Meghalaya.
The Table Top Exercise was chaired by Sanjay Goyal, Commissioner & Secretary, Revenue & Disaster Management Department, and attended by Maj. Gen Sudhir Bahl (Retd.), Senior Consultant (ME & IRS), NDMA, as well as representatives from MSDMA, DDMA (East Khasi Hills District), PWD (R&B), NDRF, and other stakeholders.
During the exercise, participants discussed various scenarios and tested their preparedness to respond to an earthquake disaster. They also shared suggestions for improving the state’s disaster management plan.
The aims and objectives of the Table Top Exercise and the State Level Mock Exercise on Earthquake Disaster are to:
- Review the Disaster Management plan and associated SOPs of the State and its districts, as well as individual Disaster Management Plans of each Department.
- Highlight the roles and responsibilities of various stakeholders as per Incident Response System (IRS).
- Ensure coordination among all Emergency Support Functions (ESFs).
- Generate public awareness.
- Identify gaps, if any, in the resources, communications, response capabilities, etc.
The Meghalaya government is taking proactive measures to prepare for and respond to a possible earthquake disaster. The Table Top Exercise and the State Level Mock Exercise are important steps in this direction.