Shillong, May 22: A public hearing on the proposed limestone mining project of Shree Cement Ltd at Lum Syrman in Daistong village, East Jaintia Hills, was called off on Thursday following stiff opposition from protesters, even as a truck was set ablaze on the way to the venue amid the unrest.
The district administration cancelled the hearing after both groups present at the site opposed the proceedings.
Confirming the development, Superintendent of Police Pankaj Kumar Rasgania said the situation remained largely under control despite the disruption.
“Law and order situations were normal. Both the parties are not allowing the public hearing to proceed, especially those who were against it. Due to that, the procedural aspects could not be completed and the hearing was called off,” the SP said over phone.
The incident of arson reportedly occurred before the hearing began.
According to reports, a truck bearing registration number ML 04 B 2910 was set ablaze after protesters allegedly found it parked in the middle of the road leading to the venue.
Clarifying the sequence of events, SP Rasgania said the vehicle burning incident did not take place at the hearing venue itself.
“The incident of arson was not at the venue but on the way and in between. That was before they reached the venue. Some people, when they were coming to the venue, they found one truck and set it ablaze,” he said.
The police said investigations are underway to identify those involved and ascertain ownership of the vehicle.
“We are yet to ascertain who were the mob and whose truck it belongs to,” the SP added.
Responding to allegations that the truck had been intentionally parked to block the road, Rasgania said police would investigate the matter thoroughly.
“We are not sure as our force is deployed here but we will investigate the matter as to why the truck was there and whose truck it is,” he stated.
The SP further informed that the situation has since returned to normal and people dispersed peacefully after the hearing was cancelled.
“There is no law-and-order situation. As of now, it is peaceful and the people have also dispersed peacefully since the hearing was called off,” he said.






