Shillong, August 20 : Several tourism organisations in Meghalaya have strongly condemned the violence and vandalism reported during the August 19 rally, warning that the incidents could damage the State’s image as a safe tourism destination and affect thousands of people dependent on the sector.
The joint statement was issued by the Tour Operators Association of Meghalaya, Meghalaya Rural Tourism Forum, Tour Guides Association of Meghalaya, Federation of Shillong Hotels, Meghalaya Tourism Development Forum and Meghalaya Rural Tourism Cooperative Federation Ltd.
The organisations said vehicles from outside Meghalaya, including tourist taxis, buses and other vehicles, as well as pedestrians and bystanders, were attacked or subjected to vandalism during the incidents.
While acknowledging the democratic right of individuals and organisations to express grievances, the tourism bodies said protests must remain peaceful and should not be exploited by anti-social elements to create fear, violence or damage public property.
The stakeholders said Meghalaya has worked for years to establish itself as a safe, welcoming and responsible tourism destination, and warned that the violence could have far-reaching consequences in the coming months.
According to the statement, tourism operators are already witnessing cancellations and concerns among visitors, while retaliatory developments from Assam have also affected tourism stakeholders and ordinary citizens dependent on inter-state travel.
The organisations also called for a review of security arrangements during the August 19 rally. They said that since permission had been granted for the rally, adequate police and district administration arrangements were expected to be in place to maintain law and order. They said the acts of vandalism raised questions over the effectiveness of the security arrangements.
The statement claimed that tourism directly and indirectly supports the livelihoods of more than 30 per cent of Meghalaya’s population, including people engaged in homestays, tour guiding, transport, handicrafts, restaurants and other small businesses, particularly in rural areas.
The tourism bodies urged the State government and law-enforcement agencies to identify those responsible for the violence and vandalism and take appropriate action under the law, while safeguarding the rights of peaceful protesters.
They also appealed to organisations, communities and citizens to exercise restraint and avoid retaliation, stressing that differences with the government should be addressed through dialogue and peaceful democratic engagement. “We must not allow one day’s violence to undo years of work in building Meghalaya’s tourism reputation,” the organisations said, while calling on all stakeholders to choose peace, dialogue and responsibility over confrontation and retaliation.






