Shillong, May 19 : The decomposed body of an unidentified man was discovered inside an abandoned government quarter belonging to the Forest Department at Polo Hills, Shillong on Tuesday morning.
According to reports, the body was first noticed by drug users who frequently visit the abandoned quarter. The matter was later reported to personnel at the Pasteur Beat House through local sources. The abandoned Forest Department quarters at Polo Hills have long been a cause of concern for residents, with the Dorbar Shnong Lawmali Pyllun earlier writing to the Forest Department urging it to either demolish or properly secure the buildings to prevent anti-social elements from using them.
At the time of filing this report, the identity of the deceased had not yet been established. Sources said the body was found in a highly decomposed state, and it is suspected that it had been lying inside the abandoned building for over two weeks. The body was later shifted to NEIGRIHMS Hospital for post-mortem examination and further legal formalities.
Local youths said they had often seen the deceased entering and leaving the abandoned quarter. They also claimed to have encountered him during raids conducted in the area. Leaders of Golflink locality expressed concern over the growing security threat posed by several abandoned government quarters under the Forest Department at Polo Hills. Residents said unidentified people frequently move in and out of the buildings, creating fear among the local community.
Assistant Secretary of the Golflink Dorbar Shnong, Wanlambok Nongkynrih, said the Dorbar Shnong had written twice to the government seeking demolition of the abandoned quarters, but no concrete action had been taken except partial removal of some doors and windows. Following the recovery of the body, local authorities warned that if the government fails to act, the Dorbar Shnong may take steps to demolish the structures on its own.
President of Seng Samla Polo Hills, Dion Sohbha, said the youth body had repeatedly conducted raids in the area and found both men and women staying inside the abandoned buildings. He added that police had also conducted raids from time to time, but despite informing the Forest Department, no action had been taken.
President of Seng Samla Golflink Pyllun, Mordekai S. Kharpuri, questioned why the government waited until a death occurred before taking the issue seriously, warning that the locality would take over the area if authorities continue to remain inactive.






