MCA President Alleges Institutional Failure Over Women Cricketers’ Harassment Complaints

Shillong, May 23: Meghalaya Cricket Association (MCA) president James P.K. Sangma on Saturday termed the allegations of sexual harassment made by members of the MCA Under-23 Women’s Cricket Team as a matter of “grave concern” and alleged serious institutional failure in handling the complaints.

In a detailed statement issued on Saturday, Sangma said the complaint filed before the Meghalaya State Commission for Women (MSCW) names the team’s head coach and manager, along with current MCA secretary Rayonald Kharkamni and former office bearers including the former President Nababrata Bhattacharjee, former Treasurer Dhrubajyoti Thakuria, and former Cricket Operations Manager Shining Star Lyngdoh.

He stated that sexual harassment in any form is “completely unacceptable” and asserted that such behaviour has no place in sports associations or any institution.

Sangma alleged that despite complaints being known since at least December 3 last year, no inquiry was initiated and no action was taken against the accused individuals. He claimed the matter was “brushed under the carpet” by officials despite the seriousness of the allegations.

The MCA president further alleged that the accused team manager was even nominated for the NECDC Under-23 Women’s T20 Trophy in April this year, despite senior officials allegedly being aware of the complaints.

According to Sangma, the complainants did not receive any acknowledgement or response from the MCA office when the complaints were initially raised, raising serious concerns about how such allegations were being handled by the association at the time.

He also highlighted that the position of Ombudsman, mandated under BCCI and Lodha Committee reforms, had remained vacant in the MCA since 2024, leaving players and officials without an independent grievance redressal mechanism for over a year.

Sangma informed that after assuming charge as president, the MCA appointed retired Gauhati High Court judge Justice (Retd.) B.D. Agarwal as Ombudsman during an Apex Council meeting held on March 7, 2026.

He said the Under-23 Women’s Cricket Team later approached the Ombudsman on May 8, 2026 regarding the sexual harassment allegations, following which he personally wrote to the Ombudsman seeking a detailed investigation and protection of the players’ rights.

The MCA president further alleged that on May 9, without his knowledge or approval, the MCA secretary convened a meeting aimed at setting aside the office of the Ombudsman, which he claimed could have affected the independent inquiry into the matter.

Sangma said the Meghalaya State Commission for Women is currently conducting due process and assured full cooperation with the inquiry. He stated that strict action would be taken against all those found guilty if the allegations are established through investigation.

He also said he would approach the Meghalaya High Court to ensure that the Ombudsman’s inquiry is not derailed, adding that women cricketers must be protected and their dignity upheld.