Shillong, June 5, 2023: North Eastern Indira Gandhi Regional Institute of Health & Medical Sciences (NEIGRIHMS) celebrated World Environment Day 2023 on June 5, 2023, with a series of events and activities. The theme for this year’s World Environment Day was “Beat Plastic Pollution.”
The Department of Sanitation, NEIGRIHMS organized a number of activities to raise awareness about the harmful effects of plastic pollution. These activities included:
• Release of T-Shirts & Caps: T-Shirts and Caps with the theme Beat Plastic Pollution and Swachh Bharat: Swasth Bharat were released by Prof. Nalin Mehta, Director, NEIGRIHMS on the eve of World Environment Day.
• Tree Plantation Drive: Tree plantation drive was organized within NEIGRIHMS campus in collaboration with Assam Rifles and Bank of Baroda, Mawdiangdiang Branch, Shillong. A total of 600 trees were planted within NEIGRIHMS campus.
• Plastic Clean Up Campaign: A plastic clean up campaign was also organised in NEIGRIHMS in which volunteers from NEIGRIHMS helped in cleaning of the plastic waste within the campus.
• Save Environment & Say No To Plastic Campaign: Posters were placed all around the campus to raise awareness among staff of NEIGRIHMS, patients and visitors about the importance of saving the environment and saying no to plastic.
• Display of items from waste materials: Items made from waste materials by the students of College of Nursing, NEIGRIHMS were displayed on the campus.
• Seminar on World Environment Day: A seminar on World Environment Day was organized on the theme Beat Plastic Pollution.
The Guest of Honour and main speaker at the seminar was R. S. Gill, IFS, Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (T) & Chairman of Meghalaya State Pollution Control Board. Posters made by sanitation workers on the theme Beat Plastic Pollution and the decorative items made from waste by students from College of Nursing, NEIGRIHMS was displayed outside the seminar venue.
• Poster & Quiz Competition for sanitation workers was also organized.
• Felicitation for exemplary work: Sanitation workers who have done exemplary work in the fields of plantation and horticulture were felicitated. Prizes were also distributed to winners of different competitions organized on the occasion.
The Director of NEIGRIHMS, Prof. Nalin Mehta, stressed the importance of taking steps to reduce plastic pollution. He said that plastic pollution is a major threat to the environment and that it is important to take steps to reduce the use of plastic. He urged everyone to come forward and contribute to the fight against plastic pollution.
The celebrations on World Environment Day at NEIGRIHMS were a success. They helped to raise awareness about the harmful effects of plastic pollution and encouraged people to take steps to reduce their use of plastic.